Zorn applauds local railroad crossing improvement projects

LANSING, Mich. — Sen. Dale Zorn on Wednesday applauded the selection of two Monroe County projects for state funding to improve railroad crossings.

“As railroads transport more and more products and materials in Michigan and across the country, we need to ensure highway-railroad crossings remain safe,” said Zorn, R-Ida. “I applaud MDOT for selecting these local projects, and I thank the Monroe County Road Commission for their work in obtaining this funding for these important improvements.”

The Michigan Department of Transportation (MDOT) announced the 2021 recipients for the Local Grade Crossing Surface Program. Selected on a competitive basis established by state law, 37 projects were awarded about $3 million to fund highway-railroad grade crossing surface improvements. These projects could involve anything from minor asphalt repairs to installing completely new track and surface materials.

The Monroe County Road Commission received funding awards for projects on Samaria Road and Morocco Road.

The Local Grade Crossing Surface Program offers 60% funding for eligible projects, with railroads responsible for the remaining 40% of costs. All repair work is performed by the railroad company and its contractors, with cooperation for detour routes provided by the local road agencies. The railroad and local road agency are responsible for scheduling the construction work.

###